Astronomical Quilts! Block Challenge
My friend Carol V. told me about this unique call for Star Blocks. I think it is a fun was to support the space effort from the ground! So check it out and if you have time to make a star block before August, jump in and do it. We can’t all get up in space (I’m a Star Trek fan!) but we can all make one star quilt block. Here is some information about the challenge from the Quilts, Inc. website:
While on board the International Space Station, Nyberg created a star-themed quilt block that will be returning to earth with her. Her block will be combined with other blocks submitted by quilters to create a quilt that will be displayed at the 2014 International Quilt Festival in Houston. (See a video of Nyberg–with her block–on board the ISS!)
How can you be a part of this exciting project? Submit your own star-themed block!
- Create a star-themed 9.5”-square unfinished block (so that when quilted, it will be a 9” finished block).
- The theme should be any variation on a star. We welcome all types—traditional, modern, and artsy variations. Limit one block per person.
- Use any color scheme and techniques you would like, but please do not use any embellishments.
- Sign your unfinished block on the font with a permanent marker. Please include your name and your location.
- Mail your block to us at the address below by August 1, 2014.
- Star Block Challenge
Attn: Rhianna Griffin
7660 Woodway, Ste. 550
Houston, TX 77063
Happy quilting! And if you DO decide to submit a block, send me a photo and I’ll post it here!