Hiking in cold weather is fine as long as a hot cup of coffee isn’t far away. And it usually isn’t because this regular hike is just minutes from my house. Luckily I have friends who don’t mind getting out in the craziest of weather!
This was last week before the really crazy weather hit our area. It was a beautiful day. I think Willow (that’s my pup) was thinking about testing that puddle. Pretty sure it wouldn’t have held her 85 lbs. Needless to say, we held her back. But she was thinking….
This pattern has been re-released on the Make-It-Yourself Magazine blog. Sheila Sinclair Snyder and I collaborated on a bunch of fun ideas for upcycled projects a while back (we really have to do that again!) and this is one of the ideas that came out of that fun brainstorming. I am a coffee girl after all!
Check out MIY’s blog post and make one for yourself today!
- Sweater sleeve
- Needle: embroidery
- Embroidery floss
- Scraps of felt or felted wool (optional)
- Snowflake pattern
1. Turn sleeve wrong side out. Cut long edges of the sleeve as necessary to make two pieces with parallel edges (Diagram 1). (We cut ours so it was 5″ wide.) Measuring from the cuff end of the sleeve, cut sleeve so it is about 16″ long. Machine-sew the long edges and the noncuff end closed using a 1⁄4” seam (Diagram 2). Turn right side out. Hand- or machine-sew cuff end closed; we covered the cuff end with a strip of felted wool and hand-stitched it in place using embroidery floss (Diagram 3).
2. Wrap the sleeve around a nonhandled mug to determine how tightly you want to wrap the mug cozy; start wrapping the sewn end of the sleeve around the mug (Diagram 4), then overlap the sleeve on top of itself to make the cozy (Diagram 5). Pin the overlap to secure it, then slide off the mug.
3. Using embroidery floss and a whipstitch, hand-stitch over the top and bottom edges of the overlapped area on the sleeve to secure. (Diagram 6).
4. If desired, fuse or sew an embellishment on the mug cozy. (Find the snowflake pattern we used under “Materials”.)
Up to 70% off kits + supplies at Craftsy.com!
Wednesday 12/28 at 12:01am MT – Saturday 12/31 at 11:59pm MT
Quilting Supplies and Kits: Up to 70% off
Sewing Supplies and Kits: Up to 70% off
Knitting Supplies and Kits: Up to 60% off
Have fun shopping!
Just got in two new Kona colors: “Rich Red” and “Black.” If you need some, I sell the Kona Solids for $8.00 yard + shipping (unless you live in town and can pick them up).
Hope you are all getting some sewing time in with this cold weather…a good time to stay indoors and quilt!